Pages

Monday, February 18, 2008

Sharing my knowledge

On Sunday the 17th I went to the bier markt, had three wonderful beers, heard some amazing stores from total strangers, and gave two perfect suggestions on new beers for people to try.

The first suggestion was St. Bernardus Abt. 12 for a gentleman that wanted something "chewy", strong, and dark. I did warn him that it was Belgian and had that unique "Belgian" dark fruit flavor and is not the same "chewy" that some stouts have. It ended up being exactly what he was looking for, and worked out so well that he ordered a second (both of them draft).

The second was completely accidental; I ordered myself a Houblon Chouffe and the guy in the group of three that I joined loved the smell so much that he got himself one and it ended up being exactly that he was looking for. He previously had a Chimay triple and didn't care for the noticeable "Flemish" sour, but appreciated the subtle hint of sour that is blened very will with noticeable malt and strong hops in Houblon Chouffe.

I myself started with a draft Bell's Two Hearted Ale, went to a draft La Chouffe, and finished with a bottle of Houblon Chouffe. The Bell's was strong citrus hops, but mostly on the side of orange zest, ended up being quite refreshing and enjoyable once I placed the flavor. Both the La Chouffe and Houblon Chouffe were quite enjoyable; but I really took a liking to the strong hops of the Houblon Chouffe that are well balanced and very well blended with it's not quite subtle malt.

No comments: