Pages

Friday, February 15, 2008

Ogre Fest Round Two

Last night I went to The Brew Kettle to enjoy another round of samples for Ogre Fest. Since it took me a while to decide on the samples I wanted, I got a pint of the Ring Neck Red Alert on firkin. The smell had a noticeable hop, and the taste was smooth, creamy, not as much hops as the smell but still there, and almost a hint of fruit.

For my samples I got;
==Kuhnhenn 4th Dementia
Dark, strong, smooth, heavy, some dark fruit (fig), almost a hint of peanut butter, and very creamy. Way too easy to drink considering it's strength and complexity. Slight bitter taste at the end that is almost cassis like.
==Kuhnhenn Tenacious Cassis
Very strong smell of cassis. The taste starts with a strong dark fruit (fig) with just a hint of cassis that slowly builds to the only lasting flavor while the other fig flavors fade away. I also noticed a hint of chocolate covered fruit towards the end.
==Bolder Killer Penguin Barley Wine
Very smooth and blended, slight hint of salt. Not nearly as much hops as I was expecting. Any hops flavor that I got was carried up into the nose by the alcohol at the end. Also not as sweet as I was expecting. You can taste that there is plenty of malt giving it a heavy syrup texture, but the malt doesn't seem to add much sweetness.
==Bell's Hop Slam
Tasted very warm. Hops gave a strong kitty litter gravel smell with the taste being about the same. Really need to try this one again on it's own.
==Weyebacher Double Simcoe
Tasted very warm. Same as the Bell's Hop Slam but with malt flavor, slightly heavier body, and a hint of "red" roast. Have had this one before and loved it, but it's been a long time and I need to try it again.

No comments: